Sunday, September 29, 2013

Charcoal Sketch of Gourds

This is a sketch I did one evening while watching TV, and finished it during another show a few days later.

These gourds are in the super markets during the autumn season. Their shapes and crazy textures make them fun to draw and a challenging project to develop an artist skill in rendering.

I started with a hb pencil and went to a softer 6b pencil; then after getting the shapes and basic shadows under control I began to work out the finer values with a hard charcoal pencil. I did a lot of going back and forth between the charcoal and the pencils.

I did a lot of blending with the stub and used the stub to carry material around the picture as if it was a soft pencil itself. The last major process was to use medium charcoal to give the deepest shadows. I finished with a go over of the finder details (few though they are) with the hb pencil to give some sharpness.

I am happy with the results.  Charcoal is fun!

September Gourds, Drawn In Charcoal. 


____________________________

Thank you for taking the time to look at my art. 

If you want to see more just chose from the labels or the favorites in the sidebar. 

Adron



Use the buttons below to share this post with your networks.  Thank you.