Monday, July 11, 2011

Painting of the Carollion Tower at Lake Kittimundi Columbia MD

Here is a nice painting I did mostly on location and finished my studio. It is the Carollion Tower at the lake near Town Center in Columbia MD. It is painted in oil on a 16 x 20 canvas.  I painted it a couple of years ago and have had many positive comments on it. The style is a little impressionistic but still somewhat realistic.

The autumn colors on the hills in the background are balanced by the cool water colors of the lake. I confess I made the lake a little less "muddy" than it really was.  The structure on the left is a tower that has speakers mounted on the top and every hour they would play some inspirational song in bell ringing so I was getting my spirit refreshed as I was painting this piece. The structure on the right with a pagoda style roof is a stage of some sort where weddings can be held and banquets served. I thought the green was a hopeful symbol to include in this picture some sort of looking past the Autumn to a future green summer even if it was only a roof. I painted this over several weeks and had to come back more times than I care to remember, and the leaves on the yellow trees were falling off faster than I could paint them in.

I know first hand that many fellas have taken their sweethearts out under that tower to present them with a ring and propose marriage.

Since I painted this the tower has been torn down, so this is a special piece of history that is not likely to be seen again.



This painting is no longer available for sale.