Sunday, June 14, 2015

Watercolor painting of a dancer on one toe

Here is a watercolor I did of a woman who was featured in a magazine.  I just so loved the dramatic pose she had. And I loved her dark skin and since I haven't done much with the darker flesh hues I had to give it a try.

The paper size is 9x12.

Watercolor of a Dancer on one toe.

I took a long time sketching her in.  Normally I do not erase or lift out mistakes since they seem to get lost in all the washes and layers of color; but this time I drew and redrew the figure a few times to get all the subtle lines in the right places, and did a lot of erasing. Nothing fixes a bad drawing.

I started with a light wash of orange on the flesh, then after that dried I added senna to the middle values and then used umber for the dark areas.  It was necessary to go over it all again with a little clear wash to smooth out the transitions from light to dark areas.

I could have done more with the background but I just so loved the form of the dancer that she was all I wanted to paint.  It was hard to get the gradual changes in values for the shadows and still keep the colors true.

____________________________



Thank you for taking the time to look at my art. If you want to see more just chose from the labels or the favorites in the sidebar. 
Adron



Use the buttons below to share this post.with your networks.  Thank you.