Saturday, May 4, 2019

Portrait of a Young Woman With Dreadlocks

Raven, a portrait of a young woman.


Here is a sample of my portrait painting skills. I painted this in acrylic on a 16x20 stretched canvas.

This picture was taken from several photos from teen glamor magazines to create her. One image was of a woman in a group who had crazy dreadlocks hair that looked fun to paint. Another picture was a woman who had an expression of strength which seemed important to this project. Other pictures were used for colors and ideas about clothing.

The painting took a few weeks to complete. It began with an outline and rough color in sketch and then I built up the background and worked forward. The face was built up in layers that became thicker as it progressed. There are lots of colors and the darks for contrast.

I really enjoyed working on this painting since I was creating a new person out of several others. I kept wondering what would she say. I looked at the design photos and tried to get an idea of the personality of the models and wondered what they would think of the painting.

I tied to make her bold, strong, and inquiring. I say inquiring because that is a trait of intelligence that we need to celebrate.


Acrylic Portrait of a Young Woman with Dreadlocks
You can buy this as an art print at my Society 6 store. CLICK HERE.
You can buy this as a framed print at my Society6 store, CLICK HERE.
You can buy this as a canvas print at my society6 store, CLICK HERE.


My painting of Raven, a Young Woman with Dreadlocks in a frame. 

5/4/19