Saturday, February 16, 2019

How I Used Microsoft Word and Paint to Make Art for My Coffee Mug

What can you expect when your designed art is produced and finally delivered to you?

I designed the art for a coffee mug that I hoped would be a conversation starter and a motivator to help people think about practicing responsible stewardship of the earth. The artwork was produced using Microsoft Word and the companion Microsoft Paint program. It was pretty simple even if it did require a lot of readjusting and start-overs.

I had a little experience using the many features of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Paint. I started with a Word Doc and opened a tab marked insert and used a text box to create the background with the drawing tools. One of the features of the drawing tools is the shape fill with the gradient option.  It is easy to customize the colors but I kept fiddling with the tabs and the hues to get it just right.

I brought up the paint program and entered the size for the screen I needed to be able to download to the website that was going to make the mugs. Then using cut and paste I brought the Word background to the paint program. I had already worked out the text in Word so I opened a feature in the paint program for text and copied and pasted the test from the Word Doc into paint doc. I used the transparent background so the colors showed through.   There was a little artwork to do over one of the words in the script and a second piece of above it. It was all very easy to do.

It is not my first time using these programs but after you play with them for a while you can do some very cool stuff.

I downloaded the file to the Society6 website and ordered a mug.

If you are interested in getting one CLICK HERE.

So it came and here it is.
The Heroic Coffee Mug,
Use it instead of styrofoam cups.
I am very happy with it.