Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Esmeralda The Gypsy Dancing, Watercolor

This project started out as a little drawing lesson for young artist, but I got overly involved with it and did this watercolor picture. It is the Gypsy Girl, Esmeralda, from Victor Hugo's classic story, the Hunchback of Notra Dame.

Since I had already composed and drew the picture for a lesson I used a light box and traced the earlier project onto watercolor paper. This was a real time saver, but when I do a project I will often spend days composing it and sketching it over and over until I get it right.

In this case I had already looked at hundreds of pictures of gypsy women and portrayals of Esmeralda.  I tried to combine the popular notion from today's media with historical photos to get a blend that was different yet recognizable as the character.

Esmeralda The Gypsy Girl, Watercolor Print by Adron 

Once I had it sketched I started to layer in the colors beginning with the lighter washes first and then after they dry I went over with the darker values.  I sort-of mix a little of the color on the paper lifting the lights into the top darker ones. I did a lot of dabbing technique in the background but it looked to splotchy and distracting so I did a clear wash over it to smooth the background out.  I had to do a lot of lifting with clear water and tissue to bring up the lights in the clothing.

I have added this project to my online store if you want to purchase a print click here.

____________________________

Thank you for taking the time to look at my art. 
I hope you enjoy it.
If you want to see more just chose from the labels or the favorites in the sidebar. 
Adron


Use the buttons below to share this post with your networks.  Thank you.

(c) Adron