Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tree, White on Black Block Print

White on Black Block Print. Limited Print of 5 
Block print normally employs ink and progressed from the lightest colors to that darkest; but why be normal? This little print was made to experiment with some of the possibilities of the medium by using acrylic instead of ink.

I began by rolling black acrylic gesso on a sheet of cold press 140 lb watercolor paper. I prefer the heaver papers these days. Then I carved a block to print. I mean carved in the generic terms since what I really did was to inscribe into a piece of soft foam. Next the white acrylic gesso was sponge brushed over the foam and block printed over the now dry black field. The foam had a lot of give so I did not use a brayer but the palm of my hand and fingers to burnish the paint onto the paper. The acrylic white wanted to fill in the inscribing so I lost about half of my prints to a poor bleeding image. I found that I needed to thoroughly clean the block every time, but  being water based acrylic this was easy. I liked the texture the white left on the print. This is number 3 of 5 and is one of the best.

The size is 6x8 it would go nicely in an 8x10 mat and frame. It is for sale for $9.99. plus shipping, get in touch with me if you are interested in this one or one of the other 4.

I had a lot of fun doing this and will be doing more.

Adron