|Portrait of a Rose in My Wife's Garden, Watercolor.|
The area behind it was dark and I wanted to capture that as an area of contrast but not make it all flat so I did several splattery washes. I started with yellow then added forest green over that letting the colors blend a little. After that dried I splashed down some ultramarine blue which deepened the values a little but not enough so I finished with a little alizarian crimson with violet to get the darkest areas.
The fence behind give the composition interest and a reference to a place and not just a rose sitting on a page. I did a lot of blues and brown with a liner brush and other small brushes on the fence and then when I was satisfied with the amount of medium I gave the areas a clear wash to take away some of the edge.
The rose stem and leaves were more drawn than painted. I used smallest brushes and liner brushes on it. I used the lightest values of yellow and then went to green over most of the yellow just leaving highlights showing. The darkest areas were green mixed with crimson and a little ultramarine blue.
It was a nice afternoon well spent.
(c) Adron 2013