Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Painting a still life picture of a Vase and flowers with the Painter's Club

The Painter's club got together for a little paint out party at Wiley's house on his patio last week. We had such a great time painting different scenes that were available. All the artist are pretty good and some are good enough to sell their work. At this event, Wiley set out some things to paint. Some artist chose to paint the scenery some choose to do portraits of other artists, and a few of us did still life subjects that were on the tables.

I spent a lot of time deciding and that is a problem I always have but I made up for it in working quickly to get a painting done before the light went completely away.  There was an oil lamp, some books and a vase on a round table that looked both challenging and inviting. I sketched it quickly and then did layers in acrylic working as quickly as I can. It was a little muggy so the water based paint didn't dry so quickly which it wants to do under normal conditions.

I have begun to use more black in my work and I think it has given me a new depth in my paintings. I over paint the picture several times, it is a way to not get too caught up with mistakes and situations that are not satisfactory in my work, but as I painted over I would add color and black and color again to build up the depth of the value and color.

I am very happy with the results, but later when I have some time and all my art stuff is all out then I will do a little touch-up when I do I will post the final finish.

Painting of vase and lamp.  
It was as much fun to talk to the other artist and learn from them as it was to paint.

Use the buttons below to share this post. Thank you.